Inaka Life in Japan

In Japanese, "Inaka" means rural.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Murphy Brown

Anyone born before or in 1990 will probably remember the TV show Murphy Brown. It ran from 1988-1998, making it a fairly venerable sitcom for my generation. I happened to be watching an old tape of some episodes that where (graciously?) left by a previous JET participant that used to live in my apartment. So far from the collection they left behind, I've gathered that they like: The Simpsons (good choice), Danny DeVito, Aikido (many home-made Aikido tapes), Kevin Klein, and Montana (the state, not the football player). Of course, Murphy Brown goes without saying.

Now, at this point, I bet you wonder where I'm going with all this. "Yes," you may say, "Murphy Brown was a good/okay show, but so what?" Well lets just get right down to brass tacks.

I was watching the season premier from 1996, and I got to wondering, "What were all those actors doing now?" The show ended in '98, so I thought that I'd peep in on IMDB.com (Internet Movie Database) and see what our fave cast was doing.

First off, Joe Regalbuto (the guy who played Frank) is looking pretty busted...



Secondly, if you haven't seen it already and don't know, Candace Bergen played a fairly large role in the 2000 "smash hit" Miss Congeniality (actually a "pretty O.K." movie). More recently she's been in Sweet Home Alabama and A View From the Top.



But lastly, I wanted to talk a little bit about Faith Ford, the woman who played Corky Sherwood. I was surprised to find out that she was in The Pacifier recently (no I haven't seen it). I saw a few pics of her on set, but I thought there might be some better ones elsewhere, so I "googled" her... Look, I don't know what kind of people have the time, or even the desire to put together these kinds of websites, but they exist.

http://www.hard-to-find-actresses.com/misc4.html

I felt like an absolute stalker glancing through the site. Someone sat down and took still frames of her on Murphy Brown and various other miscellaneous movies and TV shows and set up a gallery of her. That by itself is not too suprising, but it was the captions that got to me. Comments like "showing some leg", and "I like her in glasses". I slowly started to realize that whomever had put together the page was writing a "stalker-esque" type inner monologue. There are probably about 30 pictures of her in a night-gown from an episode of Murphy Brown. Lots of comments on these like "looking sexy on the bed", "a clear shot of her panties", and "a collage of that wonderful scene." I was pretty floored. Not so much that someone would make those comments, but to make them over practically nothing. You can see the link here:

http://www.hard-to-find-actresses.com/murphy.html

I really don't get it. I mean, sure, Faith Ford was (and is) an attractive woman, but she never even hinted to a bit of sexuality on Murphy Brown. This last one is my absolute favorite. It's from some old movie she did when she was younger. This caption goes with the picture below it:

"If you look closely, you can make out her breast and a nipple in silhouette as she bends over."



WHO SITS AROUND AND PUTS THIS STUFF ON THE WEB!?!?!?!
Alright, I've said my peace...

4 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I LOVED Murphy Brown and still watch it on Nick at Nite...and FYI:
Faith Ford is currently staring in "Hope and Faith" with Kelly Rippa on friday night. Of course I've watched it and enjoy it :-) And Candace Bergen is on "Boston Public" which I also watch and enjoy. They are both still working regularly. Don't know that I've seen the guys working lately...poor boys.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

opps...didn't really mean to be anonymous...it's me, Dorothy

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay. so i tried to post tonight for the first time and obviously i suck at it.

ETA: Candace Bergen's show is called "Boston Legal" not "Public"...oops!

i must be having a very blonde night.

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I remember Murphy Brown.

For some reason, Candace Bergen really reminds me of Martha Stewart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home