Inaka Life in Japan

In Japanese, "Inaka" means rural.

Friday, September 09, 2005

The Schools...

So about my students and the school:

I really like Fukushima Middle School. But, honestly, I haven’t really taught there yet. Last Friday was the first day of class for me, but all grades were taking tests. Pretty much the only thing I did was give the oral portion of the tests. The students were nice and very well behaved, but I don’t really have a feeling for how the classes are going to go yet. This week was a bust, because half the students were on field trips, and half were doing some kind of “life learning”. This is where each student spends two days at various shops and businesses around the island and then has to write a report their experiences. I didn’t teach those days, but I was able to go around to all the businesses and see all the kids at work. Some of the highlights included two of the kids using a giant fire hose, and a middle school girl selling a bottle of whiskey to a customer. I think their alcohol laws are much more lax here… I was riding around with Shoji-sensei the PE teacher, who also happens to be my neighbor. As an extra bonus we got to drive around in his Skyline GT R (picture below), and even let me drive it to a couple places! It was my first time driving stick in Japan (the shifter is on the left) so it got a little hairy at times, but over all a very fun ride. (I mean, this thing has got 400 horsepower and can go 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, how could it not be fun!)



Here's a couple of pictures of Mr. Shoji and the students working with the firefighters for the day. Mr Shoji is the one flexing his muscles.







Once I’m on a regular schedule, I will be going to Fukushima elementary school on Tuesdays and Yogen elementary school on Thursdays. This week, however, I went to Fukushima Elementary for my welcoming ceremony. I told them a little about myself in both English and Japanese then played violin for them. It was hard to think of anything good to play that would be short and sweet, but I eventually settled on the National Anthem (America’s, not Japan’s). afterwards, I got to teach my first class! They were fifth graders, and they were all very genki (full of life). If all teaching it going to go as well as this, then I’m in for one great year!

Next week I’ll go to Yogen Elementary for my welcoming ceremony there, and play the violin as well (same song). I’ll post something about that after it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home