Inaka Life in Japan

In Japanese, "Inaka" means rural.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Makin' Sashimi

In America, a Home Economics teacher would never think about having students prepare raw fish in class, let alone eat it afterwards. I don't think the American students would eat it anyway. Not the case in Japan. Last week, a famous hotel chef came to the second year students' Home Ec class and gave a demonstration on various ways to prepare Aji (a Japanese fish that has very dense meat), and Ika (Squid). I was also able to attend and even participate a little bit. I was actually surprised how easy it was for me to chop off a fish's head and skin it, and gut it (I'm talking about mentally, physically it was still very difficult). Back in 6th grade, I almost threw up when I had to dissect a squid. And in 5th grade, I did throw up when the teacher dissected a starfish. But this time, it was no problem (I think this might partially be due to the year in college I spent dissecting cadavers). Below are pictures that Mrs. Kamogawa took with my camera of me "in the action" any pictures that don't have me in it I took. Let me just say that after everyone was done, it was a feast. I never ate so much calamari in one sitting.

The ingredients



The master


The students rear back at the first slice.


Frying up some Squid


I give it a shot.
Cutting off the head.


Getting to the meat


Making it pretty.


Slicing and dicing


Laying it out.


My humble finished product


The masterÂ’s display


The students get to work.



****Edit Note! **** Sashimi was spelled incorrectly for the longest time in the title. My mom caught it (of course), and so now I've fixed it. I hate that, of all people, I'm the one spreading incorrect info about Japan.

3 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice slicing & dicing... Keep those kids in line!

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mario:
On the subject of spelling, you may want to change "cadaverous" to "cadavers." Also, there is an "it" where you might want to have an "I." Just trying to live up to my reputation!
Love,
Mom

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Origamikid said...

Thanks mom, problems fixed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home