Inaka Life in Japan

In Japanese, "Inaka" means rural.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I bought a camera, I broke a camera...

Gunkanjima-school.jpg

This past Golden Week, when I went to Ninja Town, there was an antiques village next door. So, Phil, his dad, and I headed over for some post abandoned theme park celebration. There I found a Minolta "Uniomat" Rangefinder camera. It was in good condition and came with its own leather case and strap. I picked it up for about $15 and thought I'd give film a shot again. Basically, since May of 2005, I haven't shot a single roll of film, and I wanted to see if I had been missing something. So, I got a cheap roll of Fuji 100 ASA color film, cleaned the camera and popped it in. Over the next 24 hours I used up the film. It was at a waterfall in Maebaru that I got to the end of the roll, so I rewound it on the spot, took it out and put it in my pocket for safe keeping. Then I put the Minolta "safely" back in its leather case and slung it over my shoulder.

Then, right as I was walking by the stream that the waterfall fed into, the leather strap gave out and snapped in two places, severing the camera from my person. I watched as it hit the ground and I remember thinking "Oh, there goes my camera on the ground... I should pick it up." So I reached down slowly, but right at that moment it rolled down to a lower rock. I thought "Oh, it's on the rock now, I'll just get it..." So I reach down and just as I do, it rolls right into the water and sinks about two feet. Bubbles rose. I fished out the camera and it was, of course soaked through completely. Water gushed out of it. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed, but the thought of my brand new digital SLR being at the bottom of the river made me think "Hey, maybe it was fate why I got this camera and decided to leave the Nikon home today." Either way, I had salvaged the film mere moments before, and I wasn't going to get all that upset until I saw the pictures. You may ask if the camera was salvageable at all, since it was mostly a older mechanical camera. Well no, not really. The lens was a fixed 45mm, and water got inside the elements, effectively clouding up the lens like a non-waterproof watch face when it gets wet. Plus, the lightmeter is now completely shot.




I got the pictures developed yesterday, and I have to say that though the pictures have charm, I think I got about what I paid for. This was no Leica, that's for sure. Plus, it made me remember how expensive film can be. I got small prints of a 24 roll, with the optional $3 CD and it cost me about $15. Add in the $4 for the roll of film, and you have more than the price of the camera. I did some minor levels adjustments in photoshop and that's it. Keep in mind that the CD scans you get at the 1 hour development places aren't the best. But, the actual prints didn't look much better. So for what its worth, here are the best of the shots I took in the 24 hour span of owning a working rangefinder. Enjoy!

P.S. I'm sooooo happy I went digital.




















1 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey babe - the pics from the minolta weren't awful... the ones that you took at the waterfall are actually quite beautiful although i'm not sure if that's the result of your photoshop expertise or not. made me feel very 'natsukashii' as the japanese would say...

love yoko

 

Post a Comment

<< Home